Wednesday, September 23, 2009

ripple effect: a shift in focus of blog

I have shifted the focus of this blog from one of random commentary on events and interests as I see them to one of commentary on random events and interests through the lens of compassion (or associated terms such as kindness, altruism, generosity, mercy, empathy, benevolence, charity). This does not mean everything I write will be concerned with the idea of compassion; rather I will continue to post comments on, for example, music and tennis and movies. But most of the commentary will be about issues I feel has a direct positive impact as well as has the potential to have a significant positive influence. A few random sites I visited and a journal I have purchased that are related to the idea of compassion include Dayton Literary Peace Prize (be sure to check out the recent winners); the MacArthur Foundation, whose mission "supports creative people and effective institutions committed to building a more just, verdant, and peaceful world" (recent winners include Esther Duflo, Professor of poverty alleviation and Developmental Economics at MIT, and acclaimed writer Edwidge Danticat); and the Stanford Social Innovation Review. I have a few other updates and changes planned for the blog in the near future.

Update: I feel I should refine slightly what I mean by the term "compassion." By compassion I mean an "empathetic desire," borne out of "impersonal love," to alleviate the suffering of those who are "less fortunate." So, for example, if one is to show compassion or mercy to someone who has caused untold suffering to others, one would also have to take into account the suffering of the latter (who are, after all, the ones who are truly "less fortunate"). There are many instances, however, where being compassionate to those who have caused untold suffering, such as the case of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (which Desmond Tutu supported as recounted in his book No Future Without Forgiveness), would be the moral course of action. It depends on the situation. Also, I will be amending the focus of the blog further in the future to incorporate a few other "primary" topics, such as "hope." But that would be later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment