Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Cash for Clunkers

Cash for Clunkers, the program to help wean drivers off gas guzzling vehicles and into more fuel efficient automobiles, ended on Monday. According to news reports, the program was a huge and unexpected success: it was a big hit with car dealerships as well as, and in particular, the automobile buying public, who were eager to take advantage of the program despite the terrible shape of the economy. The success of the program notwithstanding, the road ahead, in terms of the ultimate recovery from the recession and the effort to reduce our carbon footprint, still appears arduous. It will take a lot of persistence and faith in our ability to overcome difficult odds before we are completely out of the woods. Why am I talking about the Cash for Clunkers program? Well, beside the fact I am glad that at least we are making some progress, however small, toward the goal of improving the economic and environmental conditions our future generations would, respectively, inherit and inhabit, I couldn’t help but think how much more we could and should be doing while I was on my way home today. Despite driving a relatively fuel efficient car, it seems like I am burning fuel like there is no tomorrow. I wish I could trade it for an even more fuel efficient car, an electric car, perhaps. At any rate, in the coming weeks, I will likely be really busy and, consequently, will not have time to update this blog regularly. I will, therefore, opt possibly for updating the blog once or, at most, twice a week, although with blog entries that are somewhat longer than blog entries I have posted recently. Having said that, I hope everyone has a great night.

No comments:

Post a Comment