Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving in New York City

It has been several years since I left New York but memories of the times I spent there are still vivid. One such memory which remains indelibly part of my thoughts of New York is the tradition of Thanksgiving celebration, specifically the Macy's Day parade. When I wasn't able to check out the festivities myself, I would stay glued to the television set, watching the floats, costumes and celebrities go by. The Macy's Day parade was as much a part of the Thanksgiving Day experience as eating turkey with family and friends. While I now live in a different state, I try to enjoy the Thankgiving day experience the way I did when I lived in New York, by checking out the Macy's Day parade festivities on television or viewing the pictures on The New York Times site.

Pictures of the Macy's Day parade were not the only interesting thing I saw on The New York Times site; I was also happy to see some pictures of Austin. There is something about spending all those evenings wandering about in Manhattan, checking out the various artistic attractions, that has made big city life appealing regardless of state or country. Beside the arts scene, another place where I spent a great deal of time hanging out in New York was Central Park. Central Park is incredibly long, and dwarfs the neighboring Metropolitan Museum of Art, which at a "quarter mile long" is itself one of the largest museums in the world. Although much smaller in size and in many ways quite distinct, Dallas does have a few things in common with New York City, and the new Woodall Rodgers Park being built in the Arts District, adjacent to the Dallas Museum of Art, is one similarity.

Later on I will talk about arts and culture in Texas, in particular Dallas; Tennis; Movies; Christmas songs; and a book I am reading. Happy Holiday weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment