Saturday, August 15, 2009

The weekend, and random thoughts

Michael Franti & Spearhead has been around for a number of years, and Franti's music is influenced by multiple genres - Hip Hop, Reggae, Jazz, Funk, Rock, Folk - and frequently leavened with intelligent social commentary. I plan to get the most recent album All the Rebel Rockers. With summer class completed, at any rate, I am especially glad its the weekend - and for the chance to not only relax (and not worry about assignments) but see a movie I had been looking forward to seeing, that is, District 9, the much-acclaimed Sci Fi movie produced by Peter Jackson of The Lord of the Rings fame. Well, I did see it last night, and my impression is: District 9 was thought provoking and original, and unsparing in its portrayal of man's inhospitality. District 9 had the feel of a documentary, sci fi flick, action pic, and b movie, all rolled into one conceptual whole. The South African setting was not incidental, and there were many disturbing scenes of brutality and sheer grossness. But there were also parts of District 9 that reminded me of The Shawskank Redemption and The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, with their messages, respectively, of hope and enduring love. For the rest of the weekend, I plan to catch up on my reading list and just relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment